Cheers to a Fantastic Halloween




Halloween was gorgeous this year.  Just fabulous.  It made our usual hang out with the neighbors and pass out candy occasion, all the more fun.  This year we even let the kids trick-or-treat all on their own!

The Halloween spread started with these Pumpkin Sloppy Joes.  I've made them before, but I'd forgotten how tasty they are. (And very sloppy.)  I made the mixture the day ahead and just warmed in the crockpot.


I also tried these Meatball Mummies using turkey meatballs and refrigerated pizza dough.  I ended up cutting the dough in about sixteen pieces and using two strands to wrap each mummy.  Instead of a spaghetti, I used a skewer and then removed the skewer once each mummy was wrapped.  They held together just fine.  Even though I decided to forego the eyeballs, these were still cute and tasty both.  Lots of positive comments from friends.


One of the best and easiest appetizers ever is cream cheese and red pepper jelly.  When I saw this version for Halloween, I knew it was perfect.  It was pretty easy to form the bone shape, too.  Surprisingly.

For dessert, I was inspired by this big candy corn cookie, but I wanted easier.  I made the sugar cookie recipe from my trusty Better Homes and Garden cookbook, frosted it with leftover birthday cupcake frosting, and used sugar.  Easy. Peasy.  (To make the rings, I just used two different sized lids to cover the unsugared layers.)  After you cut it in wedges, perfect candy corn pieces.  A little messy with all that sugar, but yum!

I'm not sure what another Halloween will bring.  There's rumblings amongst the kids that trick-or-treating might be over.  Who knows?  We may still gather to eat and chat.  For now, we've got another great year of memories in the books.


Comments