Harry-mania

Our kiddo is turned into a major Harry Potter fan this year.  She's read all the books, seen all the movies, spends hours looking at the Harry Potter Lego sets, imagines she is all the characters at one time or another.  I won't call her obsessed, but she is close.

Since Harry is where her current interest lies, I decided to make her birthday cake in that vein.  Since her birthday didn't play out as planned, at all (thanks, Hurricane Matthew), I ended up making one cake in very short order.  It was an ordinary yellow cake mix, made with milk rather than water, and using this awesome frosting which is my daughter's favorite.



Thank goodness for autumn M&M's, which contain the perfect Gryffindor colors.

Later in the month we had family in town, so I decided to go with my original plan, Snitch Cupcakes.  I thought these were perfect since it was her golden birthday, and they were golden.


Again, I used a yellow mix, made with milk, and my favorite buttercream frosting.  Once the cupcakes were frosted, I dipped them in gold sugar sprinkles to create the snitch effect.  Finally, I printed this wing pattern on vellum, and added them to the top.  I was really pleased with the result, and the cupcakes were delicious.

I had a lot of fun creating both cake designs.  Even though they weren't elaborate, I think the effect was good, and it wasn't a huge headache to make either one.  Perfect compromise in my book.

Comments