Birthday Cakes and More


For my lovely little monkey's birthday party we had a pancake party (pancakes are her favorite food), for which I discovered some awesome recipes.

For the pancakes I followed the Martha Stewart recipe and awesome instructions at Smitten Kitchen. They were great pancakes, and if I want a "from scratch" recipe, I'll definitely use Ms. Stewart's again. I made them in plain buttermilk as well as mini chocolate chip pecan. Yummmmmmm. I also used this recipe from All Recipes for a Swiss Potato Pancake, but traded up straight Swiss cheese for a combination of Swiss and Colby Jack. I could have eaten the whole thing!


For the birthday cake, I went with a cupcake cake that you see at the top of this post. I used the basic Yellow Cake Mix recipe from my trusty Better Homes book and this frosting from How to Eat a Cupcake. The cupcakes baked too long I think. Next time I'll trust my instincts rather than the cookbook. The frosting was absolutely fabulous and I'll definitely use it again. If I had to rate the ease of making the cupcake cake, I'd say it was super easy to make and frost. I'll keep it in mind for the future, although I promise I won't just make her birthday number every year!

Comments