One-upping Leftovers


Leftovers leave me hugely underwhelmed.  I don't mind eating them for lunch, but that's lunch.  To me, dinner is an occasion and deserves new food.

However, faced with Taco Salad on the menu tonight, and a daughter who continues to be underwhelmed by taco-flavored dishes, I decided leftovers didn't sound so bad.  I had already changed up my Wednesday meal by using the leftover Satay on grilled chicken.  So, I decided to use the extra chicken from Wednesday's meal in a salad version tonight.  Confused yet?

To our warmed Satay covered chicken, I added a romaine mixture, freshly shredded cheddar, green onions, and mandarin oranges.  Topped with the sweet dressing recipe from the side of my salad dressing jar, it was a great combination.

To liven our leftovers up a little, I decided some fresh from the oven breadsticks were called for.  When I Googled "breadsticks, quick", this was the first result.  They came together really quickly using my mixer and dough hook to proof and mix the dough.  The recipe was very generous for our little family, but probably perfect for a larger group because they are so yummy!  I brushed mine with a little melted butter and garlic salt when they came out of the oven.  It was hard to stop eating them.

Moral of the story today?  Leftovers can be delicious, especially when accompanied by beautiful, fresh, buttery bread.

Comments