The Business of Birthdays


I find that as my husband and I experience more birthdays in one another's company, it gets harder.  Harder to shop for my hubby, harder to figure out what kind of cake to make, harder to keep my child from spilling the beans on what the presents are going to be.

I finally settled on this Swiss Swirl Ice Cream Cake.  It seemed like a nice change from his previous birthdays.  Plus, he enjoys ice cream, has fond memories of Swiss Cake Rolls, and is game for anything I come up with.  I decided to swap out the vanilla for Blue Bunny's Peanut Butter Panic and the plain chocolate for Super Fudge Brownie.  I kept the hot fudge layer as is, although it was terribly difficult to get the fudge to spread around.  I don't know if I'd include it next time or not.


A couple of things surprised me about this recipe.  First, I was worried about how the whole thing would come out of the bowl.  I shouldn't have worried, it was a breeze.  Second, I wasn't sure how the Swiss Cake Rolls would hold up in the shape of the bowl.  That actually worked pretty well.  I was able to keep enough pressure on the cake roll pieces for them to stick together.  Cutting them into eight slices apiece wasn't exactly easy, but as long as you expect to lose a few pieces of the outside chocolate, you'll be fine.

This would be a fun dessert to make for a summer party or get together,especially since you can customize it in so many ways.  Just leave enough time for assembling each layer and you'll be ready to roll!

Comments

Katie Byford said…
This looks delicious! I'll have to keep it in mind for birthdays and celebrations in the future.