Chocolate Chocolate

April brings a birthday in our house and I always try to best the cake I've made for my husband the year before.  I ask for input, but receive little so I usually try to include one of the these of his favorite three ingredients: chocolate, peanut butter or toffee.  Sometime I'll try using all three together.

This year I went with the toffee theme.  (I've made him variations of peanut butter for the last several years.)  I started with the Duncan Hines' Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix.  He loves a coffee/toffee mixture so I substituted about 6oz of coffee in for some of the water.  I couldn't taste a coffee flavor once it was baked so I guess you would either have to replace all the water or add coffee flavor in some other way.

Next came the frosting.  I've made this chocolate buttercream before, but even I had forgotten how good it really is.  I'm not usually a big chocolate person, more of a vanilla girl, but I make an exception for this recipe.

Finally, I topped the whole deal with Heath bar crumbles.  I considered adding Heath crumbles to the middle layer, but in the end decided the texture issue overruled the flavor addition that might result.

Verdict?  This is a great chocolate cake.  Again, lots of chocolate, which I normally don't go for, but this worked. 
My next project?  Using the leftover cake crumbs and frosting to make cake balls.  Maybe.  Or maybe I'll just eat them both myself.

Comments

Ashley said…
You COULD bring the leftovers to class...I'm sure we could help!!
Trevor said…
Yeah I agree with Ashley left overs sound like a great idea.

How can you not expect comments when the title of your post is "Chocolate Chocolate"
Heidi said…
My family was quick to take leftovers home with them. Sorry!