Birthday, Birthday


This coming week is my hubby's birthday.  We decided to celebrate on Saturday since Wednesdays are generally less celebratory.  He does have to wait until Wednesday for his gift, though!

I can never decide what kind of birthday cake to make him, and he is usually no help.  He doesn't have a strong favorite and claims not to care what I make.  I decided to go away from the chocolate peanut butter concoctions of the past.  He also likes toffee and chocolate, so I went in search of a caramel buttercream, thinking to top it with Heath or other toffee pieces.

On Pinterest, this Salted Caramel Buttercream recipe popped up on a search and sounded perfect.  Easy, with a yummy caramel flavor, plus salted caramel anything sounds delicious to me.  (Nevermind that this cake isn't for me, right?)  Instead of the accompanying cake recipe, I just used the Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge since he really likes that. 

The frosting is super sweet -- caramel syrup and a pound of powdered sugar will do that.  I only used a half of a teaspoon of sea salt rather than the full teaspoon in the recipe.  I wanted to be careful that it didn't get too salty.  I think I could do the whole teaspoon in the future.  To counter the sweetness, I topped the cake with roasted, salted pecans.  It was a nice contrast in texture and flavor.

I will definitely make this frosting again in the future.  I'm already thinking of all the different combinations there could be.

Comments

Morgan Steffens said…
Your description of this in class today wasn't even that detailed yet seeing the picture when you said it made my mouth water!