Blizzard Bliss

It's unusual for our area of the country to get 15 inches of snow at once. Even more unusual that thunder and lightning accompany the snow, but it all leads to one thing--staying inside and craving comfort food.

This Cheesy Potatoes with Smoked Sausage was perfect for a cold winter night. I only made a half recipe since it was just the three of us at home. The half recipe was just right with a nice serving for each us plus leftover for a lunch. I'm a big fan of all cheesy hashbrown casseroles, but I liked that this was a change from the usual cream of chicken soup based version.

Of course I can never leave well enough alone, so here are my modifications to this recipe, one by design and the other by default. I substituted turkey smoked sausage for the regular smoked sausage. When I was eating the dish, I totally forgot that I had made the substitution because it didn't matter in the least. In addition, I already had frozen hash browns on hand so used those in place of the refrigerated variety. I think I'd probably add 10-15 minutes cooking time next time around. The alternative would be to remember to get my hashbrowns out of the freezer sooner so they could thaw more thoroughly!
I'm excited to have another excellent recipe to add to my smoked sausage collection. I don't have many, several have been very mediocre, but this one is an awesome addition.

Comments