Let's Taco 'Bout Smothered Nacho Fries

A little while back I made this Turkey and Sweet Potato Skillet and shared it on Instagram. A friend then shared this recipe for Healthier Smothered Sweet Potato Fries with me since we liked the skillet.

Because you know I never follow a recipes exactly, here's the modifications this go 'round. My local grocery store only had regular shaped sweet potato fries instead of waffle cut. Also, since I had the skillet recipe in my head, I pulled ground turkey out of the freezer. By the time I realized the recipe called for ground beef, I just decided to go with the ground turkey anyway. Instead of homemade taco seasoning, I just used a packet. Frankly, I was just to lazy to pull out all those spices. For toppings I used some sweet peppers, green onion, tomatoes, and cheddar jack cheese.

This was a great end to our week--lots of yummy toppings and great flavors. My only complaint would be that I wished the fries had gotten just a little crispier. In the future I will bake them longer on their own to bring out the crunch. Otherwise, I would make this again in a heartbeat. I'd even use the ground turkey again!

Comments

Kyle S. said…
Yum! Anything with sweet potato fries is usually on point. If you want to shake things up and make it more of a breakfast item, I would substitute bacon for the turkey and add a fried egg! Eggs and bacon naturally go together, but sweet potatoes and veggies add a perfect blend of sweet and zesty for a great breakfast dish.

- Kyle S.
Have had a recent obsession with things like this! Definitely something I'm going to try this weekend!
Lacey De Haan said…
This recipe looks absolutely amazing! I was not hungry prior to reading this but I certainly am now! Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods so this is definitely a recipe I'll have to try out! Thank you for sharing!

-Lacey D.
Anonymous said…
I'm not a huge fan of sweet potatoes personally, but this combination of sweet and savory flavors might be something I need to try, especially once I get home. My mom loves sweet potatoes and will almost definitely find this intriguing!

Libby Houdek
Annie Bettag said…
I like how you just modified it and went with the flow! I love experimenting and going off the recipe a bit to see if I can improve it or modify it more to my taste!