Breakfast Grilled Cheese - Round Two

 A long, long time ago, I made breakfast grilled cheese. It was savory and delicious in so many ways. Today's installment of Breakfast Grilled Cheese is the sweet version. Both have their place in this world, so don't try to be getting rid of either of them.

This version is fun because it starts with waffles. I think waffles totally have merit as the bread for the savory version, too, but that's another story for another day. The cream cheese/cottage cheese/powdered sugar mix was excellent. I am not a cottage cheese with fruit person, so I had some concerns about how this blend would work. I need not have worried, it was just right. Then, each person at the table got to choose his/her jam flavor. I, personally, chose apricot, and thought it was a great choice. I'm guessing the strawberry one the hubby had tasted a lot like strawberry crepes. We've got some leftovers of the strawberry kind, so hopefully I get to find out.

One caution--the waffles took longer to brown up that regular grilled cheese. I don't know if it's because they start colder, or what, but I would allow more than the three minutes per side recommended. I'd also probably cover your skillet or griddle part of the time to help them retain heat. I doubled the recipe and comfortably got five sandwiches. There's plenty of cream cheese goo to go around, so your recipe might stretch a little too.

These were a gooey and amazing mess. We all loved them, and would have gone back for more. We give a strong recommendation to Breakfast Grilled Cheese of all types. 

Comments

Kylie Connell said…
I want one!! These look awesome!
Taylor Jockisch said…
Holy smokes! these look amazing, might be a thanksgiving breakfast idea!