Long Weekend Eats

Long weekends bring get togethers and more time for food prep, and thus, a great chance to try new recipes. I found two absolute winners this past weekend, that I definitely had to share.

First, for a neighborhood get together I volunteered myself to bring potatoes. Then I went in search of a new version to try. Of course the standard cheesy potatoes are awesome, and potato skin casserole is always good, but me being me wanted something new to try. Plain Chicken always comes through with great recipes and this Cheesy Onion and Chive Potato Casserole is another outstanding one. It's creamier and more flavorful than the standard option, plus there's bacon. Enough said.

For our own little family meal to wrap up the weekend, I was looking for something to make for dessert. I got to thinking about those easy pudding cakes. This Rhubarb Pudding Cake caught my eye in a flash. I knew I had almost exactly two cups of rhubarb in the freezer from earlier this year. The rest was easy peasy to throw together. And taste? Amazing! The pudding cake is the perfect balance to the tart rhubarb, with very little work involved. If you are a strawberry rhubarb lover, you could most definitely add some strawberries into the mix. I'd love to try this with a lot of different fruits, but I'll use it for rhubarb without a doubt.

I'm a little sad to wave an official goodbye to the end of summer, but I think I'm almost ready for all the things of fall. At least we had a long weekend of great eating to make the transition.

Comments