Make Mine a Cuban

Long ago on our "babymoon", a cruise to Alaska, I tried a Cuban sandwich for the very first time.  I don't know why, but I fell in love, and no, it wasn't just the pregnancy talking.  Everything about the layers of a Cuban sandwich spoke to me.  Since then, it's a favorite whenever we are out to eat, and I've made some variations at home from time to time.

This Cuban Sloppy Joe recipe called to me.  I knew I had ground pork in the freezer, and this was the perfect way to use it.  Given the ingredient list, I wasn't quite sure how this was going to come around to traditional Cuban sandwich flavors, but it absolutely did.  I would caution you to let the meat get nice and brown before you add seasonings and sauce ingredients.  Then, absolutely make sure you top with mustard and pickles.  It's not a Cuban without them.  With them?  It's heaven.

I have to share our side dish because I left the 12 year old in charge.  I love that she used sprinkles!  And, the added crunch and sweetness was a tasty addition.  Plus, it's fun that she took things her own direction, and that makes me proud.

All in all it was an awesome meal, and I'm definitely doing Cuban Sloppy Joes again.

Comments