Calling an Audible

As I was preparing my grocery list for this week's menu, I realized I need pork for Pulled Pork Gyros.  I didn't have any pork loin on hand, and as often as it goes on sale in our neck of the woods, buying not on sale would be a crime. 

Gyros still sounded like a good idea to me, so I made a quick change-up for chicken.  Now, I've made Chicken Gyros before, but, of course, I'll always try something new.  I decided on these Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros.  Wowzers, the smell while it was cooking made dinnertime seem like forever away!  It smelled divine, especially for such simple ingredients. 

This chicken tasted as good as it smelled.  I'm thinking the olive oil in the recipe may have kept a great level of moisture, as well as warded off that classic "crockpot chicken" flavor of which I am not a fan.  For our meal, I cut the garlic amount by half, and I did not use the sauce recipe, but rather made a similar mixture of my own.  One thing I'll say, this recipe is missing salt!  (And it desperately needs it!)  Otherwise, it was amazing. 

I can't say how this recipe compared to the previous one I made, it's just been too long for comparison, but it was excellent.  I'm really looking forward to getting creative with the leftovers.  Flatbread?  Greek nachos?  The possibilities are endless and delicious!

Comments

Ive never had a chicken gyro before but it does sound pretty enticing. Props to you on the quick thinking and not caving and waiting for the sales. Don't think i would have even thought twice about using a different meat.
Heidi said…
Pork and chicken can be used pretty interchangeably. At least the Pork Producers Association has done a pretty good job of convincing us they can. :)