Variation on a Gyro



We love gyros at our house, and there's no shortage in the area where we live.  However, I don't often think to add them to the menu at home.  I decided to give these Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros a shot.

The chicken itself was simple and quick to throw in the slow cooker.  I decided not to make the sauce, and instead buy it.  It was a good plan anyway.  I had to settle for a spinach dip instead, and that's where are gyro starts to deviate.

It was, however, a good deviation.  Here's what I did:

  • I used the frozen naan from Costco instead of pita or other flatbread.  Good decision.  That stuff is just warm and toasty awesomeness.
  • I spread the naan with the spinach dip and added a sprinkle of feta.  More awesome.
  • I broke the chicken into smaller strip like pieces and layered a few pieces on the flat bread.
  • After slicing some cherry tomatoes and baby cukes (also from Costco), I veggied up our flatbreads.

I loved the crunch of the cucumber spears, plus it made it extra pretty.  The rest of my table gang do not see the redeeming value in cucumbers so I had them all to myself.  

This was yummy and easy, and I'm looking forward to using some of the leftover chicken on a Greek salad.  Double yum!

Comments