Thankful for Sweets

My Thanksgiving contribution was pretty light this year.  We traveled to my in-laws, so I just contributed to the sweet portion of the meal.


I first decided to make The Best Cherry Pie.  My father-in-law mentioned on their last visit that he loved cherry pie, and didn't have it very often.  I decided right then, if time allowed, to make him one.  Once I saw how easy it really was, I knew I should give it a shot.  The filling was super simple (calculating the liquid was the most difficult part, and it turned out to be one cup of liquid total), and I even made it a day ahead of time when I had a few extra minutes.  I also went so far as to make the crust myself using this recipe (doubled) I've had success with in the past.

Generally speaking I'm not a fruit pie lover, but this one turned out pretty amazing, if I do say so myself.  I was glad that I took the time, and I'm pretty sure it was a hit with the intended recipient.

My other contribution was these Brownie Bottom Caramel Cheesecake Bars.  They are pretty simple and easy to throw together.  The brownie layer seemed a little chewy at first, but I think it just need a few minutes out of the fridge to warm up.  The caramel on mine did soak in and become a little less "pretty", but the flavor was still yum.

If you need some holiday recipes, I can give both of these my full support.

Comments