Double Time

A Monday for me is usually a steady stream of chores, class prep, errand running, and what have you.  Today it seemed like all of the same, times two, with double the driving around in between.


No matter.  My trusty crockpot was there with Pork Chop Stroganoff when we were ready to sit down for dinner.  

This recipe was not too different from the pork chops in cream of mushroom soup my mom always made in my childhood years.  Surprisingly, I really liked the flavor of the mushrooms (thick sliced white button variety).  The pork chops were tender, but borderline dryish.  Not sure why, maybe because they don't actually cook in the sauce?  One disappointment, was that the sauce didn't really thicken at all.  


And then, dessert.  As I told my family, I'll coat everything in butter and marshmallow.  Today's installment was Bugles.  I love Bugles, and not just because they make delightfully crunch, tasty fingernails.  The saltiness was the perfect foil to the butter and marshmallows.  I chose to use the same proportions I use in my regular Rice Krispie squares--one stick of butter, 16 oz of marshmallows and 9-10 cups of cereal/snacks.  I'm not sure how I ever ended up with those numbers, but it's the sweet spot at this house.  

The Bugles are a fun changes, and certainly better than the potato chip treats that turned to mush.  Still, I'd probably choose the original if push came to shove.

Comments

Unknown said…
Meals that you can cook in the crockpot are some of the best! I love being able to put the food on and not worry about it while I'm catching up on other things I have to do. Also, I was just eating Bugles the other night, but with spinach artichoke dip haha. I would love to try those rice krispies with some kind of chocolate or peanut butter mixed in!
HRottier said…
Oooo, Bugles with Spinach and Artichoke dip? Definitely trying that!