Say Hello to Sochi

The Olympics are back!  All the more reason to celebrate with another Opening Ceremonies party.


This year's location definitely presented me with the opportunity to do some research.  I know very little about Russian food, so I set to work combing recipe sites, digging through Pinterest, and generally reveling in the planning process.  I don't know how authentic our menu was, but I really enjoyed trying some new recipes with different flavors.  I even learned some new cooking techniques along the way.

Our menu included:


*Russian Mushroom and Potato Soup - Holy yum, Batman.  This was my favorite thing.
*Chicken Kiev - Thank you, GFS, for doing the heavy lifting on this.



*Paska - I actually kneaded bread and it turned out okay.  Who knew?



*Russian Creme Fruit Topping - So simple, but great way to top some fresh strawberries.


*Olympic Torches - These were so stinking cute, and what's not to love about Cheetos?


*Olympic Ring Cookies - Snaps to Betty Crocker for making this easy for me.


*Easy Upside Down Russian Biskvit With Apples - this has a different texture than traditional cake, but yummy nonetheless.

Comments

Alyssa Fara said…
What a great way to try some new foods and have fun while doing it! Although the cheeto torches were my favorite, I think the mushroom and potato soup would be yummy and the perfect warm meal for this weather!

Thanks for the ideas!
Unknown said…
That's good way to learn another country's culture. Are you going to cook for Olympic 2020? It will be Tokyo, Japan. I'm looking forward to see Japanese food!!
Heidi said…
Japan will definitely challenge me, but I'm up for it!