Faux Olive Garden


Honestly, I don't know if I've actually ever ordered Zuppa Toscana when I've visited Olive Garden.  I always start with the Chicken Gnocchi soup and never look back.  In which case, I should definitely not be making soup comparisons.

Evaluated on its own merits, this soup is really good.  The flavors are much different than many other soups I've made, and I really enjoyed the change of pace.  The others at my table were less enthusiastic, but they both get a pass.  The little one because she was sick and nothing tasted exactly as it should, and the hubby because he was harried and hurried.

As I often do, I swapped out an ingredient here or there for various reasons.  First, I used regular Italian sausage rather than the hot variety.  I've finally learned my lesson and quit trying to make us a spicy food family.  For the sake of calories, I used fat free half and half.  I know it's not even close to heavy cream, but I'm on a mission here.  Finally, because I was feeling a little on the lazy side, and used the excuse that I needed to use up items in the freezer, I used frozen Southern hash browns instead of dicing my own potatoes.  Even with the changes, I still found the soup to be plenty rich, satisfying, and homemade tasting.

Want a taste of Italy without a travel budget?  This may just be the ticket.

Comments