Somedays You Really Do Need What the Recipe Calls For

I subbed in a different fish recipe for this Wednesday.  My original plan called for a recipe that was just too involved for a weeknight.  Perhaps another time.

I choose this Easy Baked Flounder in Sour Cream Sauce.  As I was preparing the recipe, I discovered I was out of paprika.  A quick search online yielded the suggestion of substituting red cayenne pepper, but in reduced quantity and perhaps a bit of cumin for the smoky flavor of paprika.  And so I proceeded. 

The recipe with that substitution was good, but it had kick!  We are not known for being especially hardy when it comes to spice, but my poor little girl was not enjoying her dinner!  She didn't say anything at first, just kept taking drinks until finally she announced that her "chicken" was too spicy.  Realizing the amount of heat I was experiencing from my own plate, I took pity on her and warmed some leftovers from last night.

Other than a touch too much spice, this recipe was delicious.  I'd love to make it again once paprika is back in my spic cupboard!

Comments