Fajita Fiesta


We are back to school and back to Awana on Wednesday nights, which means soup!  Fajita Soup to be specific.  It was scrumptious and another great cold weather meal.

I did make a few (several?) adjustments from the original recipe.  I started by sauteing one red pepper and half of a bag of frozen green peppers, alongside one red onion.  I added some precooked, frozen, shredded chicken breast when I added the broth and next ingredients.

Since I grocery shopped with an almost snowstorm bearing down on us, green enchilada sauce was no where to be found.  I've used green taco sauce in this soup, so I figured it would probably work in this instance too.  It turned out to be a great substitution.  I decided not to risk the heat of all the recommended green chilies, so I added about a tablespoon instead the 1/4 cup in the recipe.

My last set of modifications included swapping 2% fiesta cheese blend instead of full fat, and plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.  The soup was still very creamy and delicious.  A great trade.  I also failed to see that fajita seasoning mix was on the ingredient list so I ended up adding one tablespoon of this mix instead.  Another easy swap.  I omitted the cilantro, because sometimes cilantro just takes over and you taste little else.

We topped our soup with an extra dollop of  Greek yogurt, a sprinkle of cheese, a few chives, and crumbled tortilla chips. Yummo.

Comments