Easter Encore

Inevitably, the post-Easter week involves staring at a bowl full of colored Easter eggs, and wondering what will become of them.  Will they hang out for a week or two in the recesses of the fridge and then make their way to garbage can?  Will they get lost in a round of egg-hiding and stink up the house?  Or maybe, just maybe, I can find a recipe to use them that does not involve egg salad, deviled eggs or eating them plain.

As luck would have it, this year is the year where I find a recipe that uses them without offending me or anyone else in the family.  And likely, I won't have to spend every post-Easter hence, looking for new recipes.  This Hard Boiled Egg Breakfast Casserole (although we had it for dinner) was excellent.  I especially liked the fact that it didn't taste like I was covering up leftovers, just delicious comfort food.

Although I had enough eggs to make the whole recipe, I chose to make a half portion.  I used leftover English muffins from the McMuffin Casserole as the base.  I didn't have a lot of ham in the refrigerator, since we went out for Easter brunch, so I used a combination of deli ham and a couple of slices of cooked, chopped bacon.  I chose to crumble five eggs as the next layer and sprinkled that with a few shakes of dried minced onion.

The sauce in the recipe is a basic white sauce with a few added ingredients, and I think the directions in the blog are just plain weird.  So here's what I did:  I melted two tablespoons of butter, added two tablespoons of flour, salt and pepper, and let it cook for a few minutes.  Then I whisked in a cup of skim milk and let it thicken.  After the mixture was thickened up, I added the sour cream, mustards, and cheese, before pouring it over the eggs.  Finally, I shredded a bit more cheese over the top.


The picture does not do this dish justice.  It was very good and my new favorite way to use leftovers.

Comments