Tex-Mex Tuesday

We don't have a big Taco or Tex-Mex Tuesday at our house, but today things fell that way.

I had pinned these Skinny Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas quite a while ago, but they never made it to the menu until this month.  We enjoyed the creamy sauce and the chicken filling had a nice flavor, but I don't think we pronounced these a family favorite.

What did I do different than the recipe said?  (Because you know I can't leave well enough alone.)  One big difference was the prep method for the sour cream sauce.  Rather than heating the mixture on the stove and having to worry about it getting too hot too fast, I simply microwaved until warm and stirred.  Much easier.  Due to our notoriously sensitive-to-spice little one, I decided not to add the green chilis separate from the Rotel.  I also used regular colby jack cheese, rather than pepper jack to keep the heat in check too.  I also used reduced fat sour cream, instead of fat free, and regular tortillas instead of low-carb.  Finally, I used about one third of the cilantro and onion because I didn't want those flavors to come through too strongly.

So why were we less than impressed?  Maybe it's all the reduction in spice and seasoning to accommodate our family, or maybe it's the fact that easy enchilada recipes like this one are pretty standard.  If you don't have a standard enchilada recipe you like, give this a whirl.  If you do have a favorite you already use, you won't miss anything by sticking to it.

Comments