Great Layers

When I pinned this recipe for Italian Layer Bake, I assumed I would end up making it some cool fall day.  It has all the hallmarks of toasty, comfort food.

I went ahead added it to my August menu because I was coming up short on some ideas.  Even though Monday was far from a cool fall day, we did enjoy this dish.

I only made a half recipe because we seldom need a 9x13 of anything in our little household.  It was a good decision and the perfect amount with just a few leftovers.

I made this using pastrami and turkey.  I thought I had ham on hand, but it turns out that the ham I had was well past its prime.  The pastrami and turkey turned out to be a great combo with the Swiss cheese.  I did leave out the peppers in our dish because of our previous spice run-ins.  Instead, I substituted some Italian seasoning on top of the cheese.  In the future, I think a drizzle of Italian dressing would be fantastic.

I'll definitely be making this dish again.  It would be great for cozy afternoons at home curled up on the couch with a good book or watching a favorite movie or game.

Comments