Do Over, Please.

I hate when recipes do not turn out as good as they sound.  Soooooooooooo disappointed in these Hawaiian Crab Rolls.  What seemed like a great late summer dish turned out to be a raving disappointment.  So much so, that what we didn't eat went into the trash.  I don't like to waste food, but I knew none of us was going to eat the leftovers.

I used the canned crab that the recipe called for, and perhaps that was my first mistake.  I like crab and I like the imitation variety even, but perhaps the canned variation was just too crabby for our tastes.  My other variations were these: after the fish incident, I left out the jalapeno pepper rather than risk it.  I did keep the cayenne.  I increased the mango by about a quarter of a cup because the half cup called for seemed to minimal.  Plus, mango is yummy. 

I gave the mixture a stir and tasted it, and it was beyond bleh, so I started to doctor it.  A few green onions, some shredded cheddar, and I decided to toast the whole deal.

I will say this, the Kings Hawaiian hot dog buns were fab.  It was such a shame to ruin them with the crab stuff.  Better luck next time...

Comments