Families and Fun on the Fourth

The Fourth of July has always been a holiday my family enjoys together.  For many years it was the walk down to Main Street in our hometown to enjoy the parade, then a walk across the yard to enjoy donuts, rides, tractor pulls, and see many old friends.

Although that version of the fourth is no longer possible, we do enjoy spending time together.  Yesterday's heat tested our mettle, but we had a good time, and of course good food.

I was put in charge of dessert at our family potluck, but I had seen this on Pinterest, and knew I had to bring it too!  I used two boxes of the blue jello, plus one raspberry and strawberry.  I honestly don't think the color block flavors matter too much.  The flavors pretty much jumble together.  Although I loved the idea of cutting the jello into stars, it just wasn't practical in this case.  My star cutters were too big, and it seemed like there would be a lot of waste.


Even though it isn't fancy stars, I'm pleased with how it turned out, and my nephew pronounced it the best part of the whole day.  Thanks Carson!

For the actual dessert, I made some more Jello cookies (using raspberry Jello, frosting with white icing and then adding blue and red sugar sprinkles) and this Ice Cream Sandwich Cake.  As ice cream cakes go, this one is super easy.  Really, it's more about assembling than anything else.  Unwrapping the sandwiches and peanut butter cups can take some time!  Totally worth it, though, right?

 

Comments