All Things New

Tuesday night happened to be a night full of new recipes.  While school is out I am generally more ambitious--more time to plan, prep, cook, etc.

We started with this recipe for Saucy Pork Chops.  At least that's what my recipe from Taste of Home magazine called them.  When I went to look up the recipe on-line, I found that they had changed the name to Cream Cheese Pork Chops.  (The Saucy Pork Chops recipe on the TOH site is something completely different.)  These were so good.  The pork chops (I used a boneless assortment) were tender and the sauce was delicious.

While grocery shopping this week, I happend to notice some asparagus.  I realized we hadn't had any in a while so threw it in the cart.  Then I went in search of a recipe.  We love asparagus on the grill, but I wasn't firing up the grill for just some asparagus.  I started with Pinterest (big surprise) to see what I could find there.  I found this recipe for Perfect Asparagus.  Sounds, well, perfect, right?  It was anything but.  To be perfectly fair, I'm not sure the recipe was to blame.  There were a few bites that were fine, but on the whole, the dish was bitter and blech.  I think winter asparagus probably leaves a lot to be desired and is the culprit in this case.  I ate most of the mine, but the others at my table looked relieved when I said it wasn't that good, and they didn't have to finish!

To cap off the night, it was Deacon Dessert night again at our house (the guys meet here to discuss church business and then share dessert before heading home).  Kroger has started sending recipe books with some of their coupons, and some where along the line I had saved a recipe for Chocolate Oatmeal Cake.  It's a simple, easy cake and I think my Mom used to make something similar.  Even if she didn't, this recipe just feels like home.


What a hit it was!  It is a rich, moist cake that is perfect warm with a little vanilla ice cream on top.  I'm glad the leftovers are at our house!

Comments