A Special Guy

Our pastor is a special guy.  I am challenged by his messages, and I love his genuine concern for his flock and love of life.  Yesterday, our church leadership met to be part of the ordination process for him.  I was asked to prepare some food for the guys that were meeting in the morning.

Off I went in search of "guy" brunch recipes--nothing too girly or fussy was appropriate here.  Luckily my Pinterest habit is alive and well.  I found two recipes that were a pretty big hit, and then added Chocolate Toffee muffins using my old standby muffin recipe.

I decided to make these Maple-Bacon Breakfast Rolls from Pillsbury.  Our pastor loves the maple and bacon combo so they seemed appropriate.  I also decided to try these Cinnamon Roll Pulls from Plain Chicken.  I have never worked with so much powdered sugar, honey, maple syrup, butter, sugar, etc in my life.  (I was also making two Texas Sheet Cakes at the time.)  It was like Buddy the Elf came to help me cook. 

Both recipes turned out fine.  I think the Maple-Bacon rolls could have used a stronger bacon flavor.  The next time I make them I might not use the pre-cooked bacon.  I was super happy to discover the Crescent Seamless Dough Sheets.  I had never noticed them in the store before, let alone used them.  I hate all those recipes using crescent rolls where they tell you to seal the seams.  It's just impossible to get them to seal.  Now, problem solved!

The Cinnamon Roll pulls were very good.  There was almost too much "sour" flavor from the sour-dough bread, so I might seek an alternative.  Not sure what other options would hold up to all the butter, sugar, and glaze though.

Comments