Just Go With It

For the longest time I've wanted to have a cookout with our neighbors.  We have a bunch of great people that live in the homes around us, and our kids are getting really super at hanging out with one another.  For some reason I just never issued an invitation to come over for an actual bonafide get together.

Since we've been spending nearly every evening in one another's backyards, I finally decide to make an event out of it and invite people.  I realized that there would not be a perfect time so I needed to stop trying.  We had such a great time together that I'm kicking myself for not making the effort sooner.  Silly me.

The forecast was for super hot temps with high humidity.  Ah, the perfect kind of weather for sitting around out of doors.  Not.  Some of you may like to sweat when sitting perfectly still, but I am not that person.  Nevertheless, I was in search of simple, light recipes that were both kid and adult friendly.  My neighbors all brought dishes to share too, so I didn't need to make one of everything.

I decided on chicken and pineapple skewers using this marinade.  It's always one of my favorites and seemed to work nicely for the high temperatures and was easy for everyone to eat.

I also made this recipe for Corn Salad that my sister introduce me to last year.  It is so good.  It's a wonder I didn't just settle in with the serving spoon and eat the whole thing myself.  I just wish the leftovers kept better, because I could have eaten this for days.


I also wanted to make a dessert and there were so many thoughts that crossed my mind.  But again, the hot temperatures forced me to turn to ice cream desserts.  I looked over my many recipes, but realized an old favorite from my growing up years was what really sounded good.  Mom always made Oreo Ice Cream dessert for us as a family and for company that happened to come.  I remember begging her to make it for my birthday treats for school one year!


These desserts are so simple yet so good and everybody loves them.  I'm so glad I thought of it!

In sum: we had a great night of eating, talking, squirt guns, and laughs.  The weather was not nearly as bad as predicted, and I can't wait to do it again.

Update: Over dinner tonight I learned that the Oreo Dessert recipe was actually from my Aunt Linda.  All the more reason to love her!

Comments