Making Some Changes

I've recently been trying a few changes to my eating habits. Goodness knows I love my carbs, but I've been trying to put more emphasis on protein and fiber. Changing up my eating habits has meant turning to new sources for recipes--I've found a couple of dieticians on Instagram that have been helpful--and trying new things.

One of the dieticians kept talking about these Cottage Cheese Bagels, and after seeing them a few times, I decided to give them a spin. Breakfast has been the biggest adjustment for me in these changes, so I am constantly in search for additional options that are higher in protein and fiber. These bagels are super simple to make--just a cup of cottage cheese and a cup of self-rising flour. I was running a little short on cottage cheese, so I completed the cup with some plain Greek yogurt. I also decided to try using white whole wheat flour in stead of all purpose flour, just a for a little extra nutrition (very little, but still). Obviously, this is a pretty quick recipe. It's very sticky and kind of difficult to work with from that sense. If you've made any Bisquick type doughs in the past, it is similar. My hands were coated in the dough, I would wash them off, and then end up right back where I started after shaping etc. I sprinkled mine with Everything Bagel seasoning before putting them in the oven.

I really liked these bagels. They are more moist/dense than regular bagels, but nothing off-putting. The seasoning made these the perfect pairing for breakfast sandwiches, avocado spread, and just toasted with butter. I was hoping to make another batch for this week, but apparently there was a run on cottage cheese at my store, so I'll have to wait a few days. I might try making a plain variety the next time so I can pair them with sweet or savory options. Highly recommend giving these a try!

Comments