Bananas for Baklava

We love baklava in this house, but I am also smart enough to know that my impatient self does not have the wherewithal to actually make it from scratch. So, when I spotted these Shortcut Baklava Cookies with Walnut Honey Filling on Pinterest, you know I had them pinned in a heartbeat.

This is a relatively simple cookie to make, especially considering what it takes to make the real deal. The recipe for the dough called for almond and vanilla flavorings, and since we don't care for almond flavoring at all, I swapped in regular vanilla and Vanilla, Butter, and Nut, flavoring instead. Instead of a teaspoon for the thumbprint, I used my Mini Tart Shaper from Pampered Chef. (I'm going to guess by the prices I saw online that this is no longer made.) Anything smooth and round will work to shape these quickly. For the walnuts and honey, I used a little less than a table spoon full of nuts in each cookie and then drizzled honey across the top. Word of caution: don't forget the cinnamon sugar mix like I did, and then have to go running to the oven and hurriedly do it in the last few minutes of baking.😅

These are so good! They have an amazing baklava flavor. The walnut + honey + cinnamon sugar combo is terrific. Of course, the texture is a little different, but no complaints here. These are definitely tasty as a homemade treat, but they would also be fantastic and pretty on a cookie or treat tray to take to friends. The 

Comments