I Still Manage to Surprise Myself

Most days, I'm just working through the day trying to make the most of my time and accomplish the things on my list. It's been a very busy few weeks with school commitments, and so I've been thankful that the menu plan has been relatively easy (my little gift to myself). 

This Slow Cooker Balsamic Shredded Beef definitely falls into the easy category, especially since I put together the sauce ingredients a day ahead. I just put the meat in, poured the sauce mixture over it, and took off for the day. The meat was tender and so flavorful, the perfect mixture of savory and sweet. 

Because the beef was so easy, I started thinking. That's rarely a good thing.😉 The original recipe suggested serving the beef with polenta. I had not bought polenta on my grocery run, so I started looking for recipes to make my own. It turns out it's pretty simple, even if all you have on hand is corn meal. I used this recipe, and it was a breeze! I don't think it even took as long as indicated to thicken and be ready. I added a little parmesan cheese, since I had seen that in a few other recipes. 

The polenta was so easy and delicious! I'm so glad I tried it. I loved having the leftovers for breakfast later in the week. Speaking of leftovers, I used the leftover beef in grilled cheese sandwiches, and it was also amazing. 10/10 would recommend.

I was just happy to have an easy meal that tasted good in this instance, but instead I got two great keeper recipes. I still manage to surprise myself on a regular basis.

Comments

Hannah Hospodar said…
So what I’m hearing is you needed an easy meal - this checked that box BUT ALSO GAVE YOU TWO OTHER MEALS! A great breakfast and one unique grilled cheese :). The original meal truly sounds just homey to me!
Sara Jankowski said…
YUM who doesn't love a sweet and savory mix of a meal! So many different combos I could think of with this meal I feel like the possibilities are endless. I agree with Hannah I like the homey vibe this meal gives!
Josie Mettes said…
Sweet and Savory is the best mix, I however have never heard of polenta. whatever it is it looks delicious and I love your creative ways to use the leftovers other than just eating the same thing multiple times!