Cookies and Cream for Birthdays

My kiddo is very into cookies and cream flavors these days, and that was her request for this year's birthday cake. There are lots of options for Cookies and Cream cakes on the Internet, so it was just a matter of sifting through them to find the one that sounded best. 

This version from All Recipes seemed like a great choice because it started with a cake mix. Sure, using a mix is a shortcut, but also much more likely to a nice textured and tasting cake. Sometimes cakes from scratch are so dry, and I was doubly concerned on that score with the addition of the cookie to the cake mix. This was super easy to make, and I only made one substitution--milk in place of the water.

When it came to the frosting, I did a new search, since the frosting on the cake recipe had very mixed reviews. Almost all the recipes I came across used about the same proportions as used in this recipe, so that's what I used as the base. I made a recipe and a half to make sure I had enough for a layer cake. I added just a smidge of salt (salt always makes frosting better), and I used half and half instead of cream. Ultimately, this frosting was still very sweet, but since the cake isn't overly sweet they pair well together.

If you are a cookies and cream fan, this is a great combo. I think it was everything we hoped it would be.

Comments

It's so sweet that you make your daughter's birthday cakes, and this one looks even better than if bought in a store, and it's baked with love! Cookies and cream is one of my favorite cake flavors so I'll definitely have to look into the recipe and give it a try someday. I also didn't know that salt makes frosting better!
Hannah Hospodar said…
First off your daughter has a great taste in cakes! Secondly, I would love to know as to why you swapped water for milk and half and half for heavy cream. Is it personal preference or does the substitutions help with the texture or flavoring of the cake and frosting?
Sara Jankowski said…
I absolutely love cookies and cream anything! How was the combination of adding a pinch of salt, did that help with the sweetness of the cake? I also liked using water instead of milk did this make a difference in texture? The decorating is so nice especially with the cookies on top work so well!
Josie Mettes said…
Cookies and cream is the best flavor, I never had it as a cake though. I enjoy that you make the recipe your own with the little changes you know will suit your family better. As someone who isn't well-versed in the cooking world, I don't know that I will ever be comfortable enough to make my own substitutions.