Patty Melt Pizza

As previously shared, my brother loves a patty melt, and any recipe I find that leans that direct makes me think of him. Now, for sure, the ideas of Patty Melt Pizza seemed like a good thing anyway. Plus, you know I'm a big fan of taking familiar flavors and changing up the format. It's a surefire way to get a recipe win.

Because I'm me, I made some changes to the recipe as written. First of all, I didn't feel like buying a whole bottle of thousand island dressing just for one recipe. I had hoped our grocery store would have some packets for individual salads that I could purchase, but alas, it did not. I ended up making my own concoction with ranch dressing, mayo, ketchup, and a few chopped dill pickles. It wasn't a perfect formula, but it was pretty close for a complete guess. The second change I made was to the onions. Recently, I've found it is just so much more convenient to keep the pre-chopped, frozen variety on hand. The visual wasn't as good for the pizza, but I've thrown away too many onions in the last year to make dealing with fresh worthwhile in this season. Lastly, I did a ketchup and mustard drizzle on the top for a little color. In the recipe image, there was a thousand island drizzle, but I had already used up my homemade concoction. Ketchup and mustard made just as much sense to me anyway.

This was a very flavorful pizza. In fact, I would say the steak sauce flavor was a little too much for the amount of meat. I could have done with more of the Worcestershire/butter flavor from the onions, and less of the steak sauce flavor. As for cheese, I think this could have used a little more American in the mix. The recipe didn't call for any, but I used one slice on the top (broken up) just because that's what is usually a part of the patty melt. I think the creamy flavor of American would have balanced the sharpness of the steak sauce a little better.

All in all this was a good pizza, given the choice, I'd probably prefer a bacon cheeseburger variety, but this was tasty.

Comments

First of all, I love how creative you got with the changes that you made to your recipe! It looks like every bite of that pizza was packed with so many different tastes, and I really liked the idea of just using ketchup and mustard, which are easier sauces to get a hold of, especially for college students trying to re-create the pizza. :) I'd love to know if you have any other ideas for pizzas as creative as this (maybe like a chicken alfredo or prosciutto and salami-packed pizza). Seeing your blog is really motivating me to start with a goal that I set for myself for this year, which is to make a new food recipe every Friday! I can't graduate just knowing how to make chicken and pasta lol! I'm really excited to see more of your content and learn from you as well!
HRottier said…
Making weird or unusual pizza flavors is one of my favorite things. If you search the pizza label on the blog, you will see more than you ever wanted! :)