Patty is a Turkey

Patty melts have always been a favorite of my brother, and over time I've learned to love them too. Maybe it's the awesomeness of grilled cheese plus burger or the caramelized onions, but it's pretty delicious.

I decided these Turkey Patty Melts would be the perfect use for some of the ground turkey I have in the freezer and Swiss cheese leftover from a party. I will say that underestimated the number steps involved with making these sandwiches--cooking onions, cooking turkey, assembling, and then grilling. The good news is that it is totally worth it. These are tasty. I used a small onion, and probably would have enjoyed even more on my sandwich so I'd recommend using a nice big one instead. I used Kroger's Private Selection light rye bread. It was the perfect amount of flavor without overwhelming everything else.

The gooey cheese, slightly sweet onions, toasty bread, plus turkey were excellent. I would totally make these again, especially if I already had the onions cooked and could eliminate one of the steps. I also want to try them with ground beef for the traditional patty melt flavor.

Comments

Tori Davis said…
This sounds SO GOOD. I might have to try making these in my apartment!