Make Mine Memphis Mafia

Birthdays in our house are an excuse for us to go a little crazy with flavor and see what outrageous things we can find. This year, my husband's birthday was no exception.

I always keep a few flavor profiles in mind when searching for recipes for him. He loves chocolate/chocolate, peanut butter and chocolate, and also toffee and chocolate. Also, he loves bacon. Somewhere along the line, this recipe for Memphis Mafia Pie popped up on my Pinterest feed, and I knew immediately that it was perfect for his birthday--peanut butter, chocolate, and bacon.

This pie is a several steps, and you will have a lot of dishes to wash before it's all said and done. Let me assure you, every step is worth it. I was not able to find a premade vanilla wafer crust, so I made my own using this recipe. For the other layers, I used mostly creamy peanut butter, except for the peanut butter cup layer. I recommend waiting to make the chocolate layers until a little closer to time to assemble the pie. I didn't even refrigerate the peanut butter fudge layer, and it was still too clumpy to spread easily. The ganache was a little better, and of course you don't want it too warm, but I wouldn't make it too early either.

Overall, this pie was an amazing mix of different flavors that all worked together so well. I chose barely ripe bananas, and I liked that they tasted fresh and not too sweet with the other flavors. The bacon is a perfect salty balance to all the sweet, and the vanilla wafer crust was a nice change of pace from most pies. We all loved this pie, and I think we were a little sad when it was gone.

Comments

Courtney White said…
I never thought about putting bacon in a pie. That is definitely a very interesting choice. The pie overall sounds really good. Maybe I can convince my sister or my nanny kids to try and make it with me!
Jalen Craglione said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jalen Craglione said…
Your post picture caught my attention, so I had to click open to see what this was! Along with what Courtney commented, I've never thought about putting bacon and peanut butter together. I love peanut butter and chocolate, so throwing bacon into the mix wouldn't hurt. As you wrote in your post seems like a perfect blend of sweetness and saltiness.