If You've Noticed a Turkey Theme...

Hey everybody! You may have noticed that several of my most recent shares have been of the turkey variety. I can explain. 

I think everyone has seen an increase in the price of groceries, especially over the course of the last year. I'm not a complete penny pincher, but I do like to make sure I shop ahead, shop sales, and make the most of our food dollar. One of things I scout at our local Kroger is those yellow clearance sticker, especially on meat because meat has always been a bigger expense. I don't know if people in our town decide to quit buying ground turkey occasionally or what, but it is often what I find on sale. If it's a good price, I will usually stock up. 

For the months of January and February--and maybe into March--I've been working steadily at using what is in my freezer, which you now understand is a lot of ground turkey. I have managed to find some great recipes, though. Today's Ground Turkey Stir Fry was very tasty and it felt very healthy.

My deviations from the recipe given: I added a few shredded carrots floating around in the bottom drawer of my refrigerator and cut back on the onion a little. No specific reason for reducing the onion, other than I was using the pre-chopped, frozen variety and didn't feel like opening a new bag. I chose to serve mine over ramen noodles (not seasoned), since I think we will be having a rice dish later in the week.

I've always had excellent luck with Crazy for Crust's recipes and this one was no exception. I recommend giving it shot, especially if you are trying to incorporate more veggies or just need to use up some ground turkey. 😉

Comments

Unknown said…
I like turkey, although I usually buy it in the form of lunch meat rather than in its ground state. I never realized turkey was a more unpopular item at the store that it's often on sale, everyone else's loss and your gain, I guess. I like cooking, although I almost never have any time and turn to a less healthy option, so I don't go hungry. I will definitely check out ground turkey next time I am at the store because I am curious about the various items I can cook it into that I haven't tried before.

-Emily B