Feeding the Friends

One of my favorite things about having a high schooler is that high school friends always want to eat. That means I cook away, and I don't have to worry too much about leftovers. My challenge is to find recipes that they will like, and not always make the same thing. They probably wouldn't care if I always made the same thing, but I enjoy the challenge of new things. Plus, they make pretty good guinea pigs.

One night over break, I decided Brownie Trifle might be just the thing. It's all familiar flavors, but in a format that's a little more fun. I made dark chocolate brownies, and didn't add anything other than vanilla to the batter. In the future, I think I would crumble the brownies rather than cutting them into small squares. The squares seemed a little chunky in the midst of the pudding and whipped cream. I decided to add mini chocolate chips after the chocolate pudding layer for a little bit of crunch. Because I had a glut of canned whipped cream, I took the lazy road and used that instead of making my own. It fell a little, so it's not a choice I'd recommend unless you too have several cans waiting to be used.

This was a big hit with the friends (and me!). There was nothing exotic happening, but it was so tasty. There's also a lot of things you could do to make it customized to your tastes, too - toffee pieces, Oreos, etc. Sounds like a trifles to try in the future!

Comments