The Best for Birthday - Part 23

Every year I like finding a new semi-outrageous cake to make for my husband's birthday. Twenty three years of knowing him, and it gets a little more challenging every year to find a new recipe within the challenge scope I'm willing to take on. 

Most years I have him pick a flavor profile--chocolate and peanut butter, chocolate and toffee, or German chocolate--and then I search for a recipe. This year he chose chocolate and peanut butter. I've made a lot of chocolate and peanut butter combinations over the years, and I really didn't want to repeat one. Lucky for me, I have far more Pinterest pins than I know what to do with. I searched on chocolate peanut butter cake on my boards and found that somewhere, sometime, I saved Puppy Chow Cake. I knew the Puppy Chow Cake would be perfect because it is his favorite wizard flavor (a local ice cream shop's version of a Blizzard) of all time. The recipe seemed pretty doable, if a little long. 

There are two cake flavors to make. I made one and half recipes of both the peanut butter and chocolate flavors, and baked them as eight inch layers. I don't have six inch pans, and frankly, I didn't want to deal with the six inch layers. I must now admit that I did not follow the instructions for the chocolate cake and the sprinkling of the dry ingredients. It seemed a little crazy, and I don't think it mattered in the end result. I just tried not to overmix. The peanut butter layer was really tasty--good peanut butter flavor that didn't knock you over.

For the puppy chow, most recipes use peanut butter and chocolate chips rather than peanut butter and chocolate chips both. I knew the peanut butter flavor would be stronger if I didn't use chips, so I used this recipe

I also decided to use my favorite buttercream recipe that I no longer can find online. Luckily, I have it on paper. The secret is using salted butter, plus salt and heavy cream. 

This cake was yummy and super sweet. The puppy chow layers made it a little challenging to cut smoothly, but the crunch it added was awesome. This cake was definitely a hit. You could also definitely make this with chocolate peanut butter swirl cupcakes, frosting, and a puppy chow for the topping. Those would be a lot of fun.

Comments

This cake looks AMAZING! There is nothing better than chocolate and peanut butter. You also mentioned the puppy chow wizard and that is one of my favorites. Before coming to Peoria I had never heard of it before and it was so fun to try. I just may have to make this cake for the next birthday I have coming up or even Easter this weekend. I doubt mine would look as good as yours but I am willing to give it a try!