I Did It Myyyyyyy Way - Pizza Monkey Bread


Pizza Monkey Bread. I knew it was going to be a winner right from the start. Bread, butter, cheese, pizza toppings, what could possibly go wrong.

When it came right down to it, I engineered the recipe a little differently, and if I make it again, I'd make even more changes. Here. We. Go.

  1. I thawed the roll dough in a single layer in the refrigerator starting at about 7:30 in the morning and it was easy to work with around 4 pm.
  2. I used scissors to snip each one in half, but I did not roll each piece flat. Don't waste your time; you don't need to!
  3. Melt the butter but don't mix in the cheese or herbs.
  4. I laid out a cube of cheese and pepperoni slice by each roll piece, and then pulled the dough around the cheese and pepperoni and rolled in a ball.
  5. I suggested putting half of the dough balls into the (well-greased) pan, pour over half the butter and half the herbs and cheese. Then finish with the remaining dough balls, butter, herbs and cheese. I found that the combined butter/herb/cheese mix was too thick and didn't distribute very evenly.
  6. For good measure, I threw a little mozzarella in between the layers too.
  7. I did not make the sauce from scratch. It's our least favorite part of the experience, so I knew we would be just as happy with jarred sauce warmed in the oven as the monkey bread baked.
These bites were so buttery and cheesy! I kind of wished I was hungrier so that I could eat more.😋

Comments

I always end up reading your blog when I am hungry, which is not a good mix! I love this recipe and it sounds so yummy. It is definitely something that I think I could also make and will have to do it soon. Maybe next time I am home I will bring this recipe and make it for my parents and see how impressed they are with my skills, although they will be stolen from you. I will for sure used store bought sauce as well because who has time to make some from scratch! I love this!
HRottier said…
Have fun making it and be sure to allow some time. The final rise caught me by surprise. :)