Life's a Circus (Animal Cookie Bar)

Frosted Animal Cookies are a huge nostalgic favor of mine. Most of the time, my mom would only buy animal crackers, and even then only when a babysitter was staying with me. The frosted animal cookies were a true treat, and I still can't get enough of them many years later.

I noticed that I had a bag of said cookies lounging on a middle shelf. As much as I love the things, this bag had escaped my notice for a while. I decided since they were there, this would be the perfect opportunity to try one of the many animal cookie desserts I have saved on Pinterest. Circus Animal Cookie Magic Bars fit the bill just perfectly.

Even though I didn't have the exact right ingredients, these turned out great. I started with a plain white cake mix, instead of Funfetti, and just added about a quarter cup of sprinkles. As I was reviewing the list of ingredients, I realized that these bars were going to be super sweet. I searched the cupboards and found some pretzel crisps to crush and put in (totally eyeballed this amount, just enough to sprinkle over the top evenly). As you can tell from the photo, I didn't break the animal cookies down very far. I'd recommend chopping them a bit more as they are difficult to cu after the fact.

These are, in fact, pretty sweet, but they are tasty and fun. Absolutely a great way to use up a few pantry items and still get the best flavors of frosted animal cookies.

Comments

Unknown said…
I was just talking with my boyfriend about how many desserts and recipes use these cookies nowadays! Yesterday we were walking around Walmart and found a Great Value brand of Circus Cookie ice cream. It seems like these cookies were a favorite for everyone as a kid.
Unknown said…
(previous comment made by Abby)
Unknown said…
I think they turned out great! The photo may not be Pinterest-worthy but, if they are yummy I am gonna eat them. The presentation is not the most important thing in the world. I always used to love those types of animal cookies when I was younger so I will keep the recipe in my notes!
-Bri Leys