Wedding Soup - Southwest Style

Italian Wedding Soup is a fabulous combo of little teeny pasta plus meatballs in a flavorful broth. So, when I saw this Southwest-style Wedding Soup, I was all. in. What could be better than the best of southwest flavors plus teeny pasta and meatballs? Pretty much nothing, I think.

This soup went together a little differently than I expected, mostly because I didn't read through the recipe steps ahead of time. Oops. It didn't take longer than suggested, but the cooking steps are a little different than what normally is the case with many soup recipes. 

Here are my tips and tricks for this recipe.

  1. Yes, you need all that broth. In fact, my leftovers don't have much broth at all. The pasta just soaks it right up.
  2. The easy way to do the meatballs is just dump all the ingredients in your stand mixer and let it do the work. I used a medium cookie scoop to form them. Those were some pretty hefty meatballs, so I might try the small cookie scoop when I make it again.
  3. We topped with sour cream and a sprinkle of cheese. I'm all about the cheese, and it seemed only fitting since tacos have cheese, and Italian Wedding Soup often has a sprinkle of Parm on top.
This soup was so good! It made a big batch, so we had enough for a second meal on the weekend, plus leftovers. I'm not even a little bit sad about that. Two thumbs up on this one. Perfect for a cold winter's night or a lighter choice for the upcoming Super Bowl.

Comments