Soup Season Times Two


It has been a hot minute since I've taken the time to check in on the blog, and share some of the recipes I've been trying. The busy holiday season plus travel has moved much of our menu to prepping and assembling rather than cooking from scratch. I'm okay with that, but I'm always happy to get back to new recipes. 

Since we are in the heart of the winter season, almost everyone Wednesday night has been soup. It's a pattern I've used several other years, and I love that it almost always makes us leftovers for Saturday lunch. Soup is the perfect Saturday lunch in winter, and also why Saturday lunches are confusing for me in summer. Ha! 

The first installment of soup in the new year was this Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder. If you are a fan of chicken chilis, but don't like beans, this is the recipe for you. We enjoyed ours with Fritos as a topper for a little extra crunch.


The next soup on the roster was Kielbasa Potato Soup. This one was absolutely delicious and goes to the front of the line when I feel like reusing a soup recipe. Why was it so good? First, kielbasa (I used turkey kielbasa) has great flavor that really shines in a soup. Next, it was pretty easy-going because of the hashbrown potatoes. My grocery store was  completely picked over (thanks Covid and supply chain issues), so I used regular hashbrowns instead of cubed, plus a couple of potatoes I quickly "baked" in the microwave to equal roughly four cups. Finally, I liked that there was some cheese, but it didn't become just a "cheese soup" variety. 

Both of these recipes are 30 minutes for less, and perfect for cold nights at home or busy evenings on the run. 

Comments