'Nut 'n Honey

Ages ago there was an advertisement for cereal where the husband's response about the cereal was "nut 'n honey" that sounded like nothing honey. For whatever reason, that ad has stuck with me, and seems perfectly apropos for today's recipe, Honey-nut Bars.

I found this recipe in one of my cookbooks and decided to give it a try. It seems unusual for me to go to a cookbook these days, especially given the enormous size of my Pinterest boards. However, since the move my interest in them was renewed, and I decided to give this one a whirl. I was hoping that its high honey quantity would use up the several bottles I have in my house, plus I thought the combo with walnuts might give it a baklava effect.

Well, I used up some of the honey, but these didn't really have a baklava flavor. They are good, however, especially once refrigerated. The refrigeration made the texture a little denser and more chewy. For the recipe, I used all butter instead butter and shortening. I just like butter flavor so much better. All I had in the cupboard was unsweetened coconut, when normally I would probably use sweetened. I don't think it matters, as the coconut mostly seems like a texture element, not flavor. My last modification was a little drizzle of honey over the top to make things pretty and bring out the honey flavor. That didn't work on either score. The honey melted in and there wasn't enough to add flavor. Ah well, live and learn.

These are a fun bar to eat, and the flavor has such a different flavor profile than many recipes. I recommend!

Comments