Making Use of the Oreos

Whenever my daughter and friends get together, one of the kids usually brings Oreos to share. Sometimes they eat them, sometimes not, it usually depends on what else is on offer.

After a recent gettogether, we ended up with a brand new, package of Double Stuf Oreos. Now, Oreos are fine and all, but as many cookies as I make from scratch, we don't eat a lot of the purchased variety. For a few weeks the Oreos sat on the counter as I pondered what to do with them. The daughter finally suggested using them to make something else. Duh. In less than two minutes she had a recipe on Pinterest she wanted to try--Fudgy Cookies and Cream Brownies. That sounded pretty good to me, and a quick check of the ingredients indicated we had everything necessary on hand.

These are rich! The chocolate layer is intense, and I used a high quality cocoa powder but not a dark chocolate one. For the chocolate lovers in the crowd, this is a brownie recipe you'll really enjoy. As for the cookies and cream layer, it is pretty sweet, but doesn't have that cloying taste of white chocolate that is sometimes too much. The two layers are a great bite together. I'd say don't skimp on the salt to make sure you've got some contrast to all the sugar. I used salted butter, too, but don't tell anyone.

All in all this was a great way to use up 2/3 of a package of Double Stuf Oreos. Just enough leftover in case you get the urge to nibble on one or two.

Comments

Annie Bettag said…
Those Oreo brownies look incredible! I'll have to try this sometime soon!