A Little Taste of New Orleans

The hubby's birthday has rolled around once again, so I had to find the perfect cake. Luckily I had stumbled across a great candidate on Pinterest recently--New Orleans Double Chocolate Praline-Fudge Cake. The cake was easy to make, but tasted amazing and fancy.

First, the cake--this is probably the best chocolate cake I've ever made. Delightful chocolatey flavor, but easy and baked up very evenly. My layers were not thick, but adequate for the amount of ganache and frosting.

Second, the ganache--I think I'm frosting all my cakes with ganache from here on out. It was so much easier to work with. I used the quantities called for in the recipe, and it was a nice layer of ganache without being too much. I did change up the chocolate to half dark and half milk chocolate. To me, semi-sweet chocolate only belongs in cookies, so I didn't want that flavor ruining a delicate cake. Refrigerate the ganache after it's on the cake while you make the praline frosting. This way the praline layer will set up more quickly as you pour it on.


Third, the praline frosting--this frosting is familiar to me, as I use it on an old family cookie recipe. It, too, was a great quantity for the cake. Don't forget to sift your powdered sugar (even though it's a big ole pain), and move quickly to stir it and the vanilla in and then add your pecans (roasted and salted ones were a nice balance to all the sweet flavors). Go a little slow with pouring on the praline frosting so that you can control where it goes and keep it from sliding all the way off the cake.

This was a delicious cake that, while sweet, wasn't heavy or too much, especially with a little scoop of vanilla ice cream alongside. Highly recommended for whatever your next celebration might be.

Comments

Unknown said…
You've sold me on it. I can't think of one ingredient I wouldn't like. I, too, like ganache a lot, especially in cakes. It is a fun surprise in the center and I like the flavor it adds. I normally wouldn't choose cake as my dessert as choice, but I definitely think I need to try this recipe. - Laurel
Lacey De Haan said…
This looks absolutely amazing! I went to New Orleans my senior year of high school and there food is unmatched in my eyes. Everything is flavorful and unique! Thanks for sharing!! -Lacey