Irish You Would Mashed Potato


Today's installment is more for St. Patrick's Day. Quick reminder: we are not Irish. That doesn't mean we let the day go by without a nod. Although I do typically steer clear of corned beef and cabbage, as the fam is just not a fan.

This year I went for traditional Irish Soda Bread. This was a super simple recipe and the texture was fantastic. Is velvety a bread descriptor? I baked mine in the cast iron skillet and did not cover it with a cake pan for any of the baking time.

Our bread was the perfect accompaniment to this Slow Cooker Irish Potato Soup. The procedure for making this soup was a little different, but it was a nice way to spend my cooking time. I did a little chopping to get the recipe going early in the day, and then made the thickening sauce right before it was time to eat. I saved a lot of work by throwing pre-cooked bacon bits into the broth mixture, rather than cooking my own. The flour/dairy mixture was super thick, so don't let that throw you. Once I combined it with the broth mixture, it was the perfect potato soup texture.


The soup had a lovely, cheesy flavor, without the cheese stealing the show from the potatoes. Even the bacon decided that the potatoes should take center stage and did a great job of taking a supporting role.

Both recipes are an excellent choice for you St. Paddy's menu. I feel lucky to have found them.🍀

Comments

Unknown said…
Looks absolutely delicious! I have tried Soda Bread before and it was rather dry, so I'm happy to hear yours turned out better than that! I love baked potato soup, always been a favorite of mine. It's hard to go wrong with all those yummy ingredients! - Laurel Burrington