Eating Our Way Through the Pantry

I mentioned that I am working on emptying out our freezer and pantry so that we have less food to move come spring. Not every meal is centered on this idea, but when I needed a filler meal idea for this week, I definitely tried to use some things already on hand.

This was a very happy coincidence of ingredients on hand and amazingly yummy meal. Since I was starting with ground turkey and it was a Tuesday, I went in search of turkey taco ideas and stumbled on this Turkey Taco Burrito Bowl. It also called for black beans and corn which I had purchased for a recipe a little while ago, and then never made. Perfect.

The seasoning on the meat was excellent. It was all the best flavors you expect in a taco, without the "just launched from an envelope" taste. Now, don't get me wrong, taco seasoning is delish and a handy staple in life. However, I think it works much better on beef than turkey. I appreciated this recipe's subtlety. This is a pretty easy recipe, and I did not need to let the mixture simmer for nearly as long as called for, so count on shaving a few minutes of the total prep time.

We topped our baked rice with the turkey mixture, plus sour cream, Colby Jack cheese, and green onions. We had more than enough left for each of us to eat again, so this is a generous recipe. Plan accordingly.

Comments