Bacon + Ranch = Meatloaf


There is little better in this world than a some bacon and a sprinkle of ranch. I've always enjoyed them together on salads, and nearly every other place in the world where they end up together. I can even remember a time when my Mom bought bacon ranch salad dressing. It was amazing.

Despite Covid, we continue with piano lessons on Mondays (only now via Facetime), and I find myself continuing the slow cooker tradition, even though technically I'm around to cook by other means. This is a tradition nearly eight years in the making; it's pretty hard to deviate from the plan. 

So this Monday's edition was Bacon Ranch Meatloaf. Meatloaf in the crockpot is super easy, and for some reason I prefer the texture from the slow cooker rather than the oven. So, anyway, there I was, elbow-deep in ground beef, bread crumbs (I subbed them for bread/milk), ranch dressing mix, and an egg, when I realized what was missing from marvelous mixture was cheese. We all know that the only thing better than bacon and ranch is bacon, ranch, and cheese. You know me, I've always got a bag of shredded cheddar on hand, so I dumped a little in, and didn't look back. This was a tasty little meatloaf, loaded with all our favorites. I'd make it again in a heartbeat. 

Our sides included roasted green beans, pecans, and dried cranberries, tossed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and finished with some feta and maple syrup. They were fantastic. We always love our roasted veggies, but these were different from my usual olive oil and garlic salt.

Comments

Chloe Predmore said…
My grandma got me an instant pot when I moved into an off-campus house my junior year of college. Now a year and a half later, I have only used it a handful of times for simple things like eggs. After seeing how delicious this meal looks and how easy the recipe seems.... you have inspired me to try to start cooking more. I think instant pots have a crock pot setting so if I ever get to the grocery store again (and remember) I want to get the ingredients and try this out.
I am always down to try out a new bacon, ranch, and cheese recipe. However, I am a little skeptical about how it pairs with hamburger. Most of the time I opt for chicken as my meat of choice. I am trying to create more crockpot meals to save up on money in my last semester here, so I might need to give this one a go. And thankfully, I have been able to round up some gluten free breadcrumbs on my last HyVee trip, so I have everything I need to make it!
-
Laurel Burrington
Oh this sounds yummy! I just got into cooking using a crockpot this last year. I think it's so great to be able to set it and forget it. I've been looking for a good meatloaf recipe when I've tried cooking meatloaf before it came out dry. I'm hoping the crockpot can keep it moist. I will go pick up the ingredients and try it out this week! thank you for the suggestion!