Getting in the Sweet Spirit of the Holidays


My holiday baking has begun! I tend to make a treat here and there, scattered in amongst gift wrapping, delaying grading projects, and last minute shopping. Over the last week, I've stumbled on a couple of options I absolutely had to share.

The first option may not qualify as exactly "holidayish", but if decadence is the measure, these definitely fit in the holiday category. I give you, Peanut Butter Maple Bacon Blondies. They are everything that makes a blondie wonderful--copious amounts of butter and brown sugar--along with the delightful addition of bacon (I used Kirkland precooked bits to save time), maple syrup, and peanut butter.

The bars are a delight. There is a lovely savory kick from the bacon and a bit from the peanut butter. Then there's the amazing sweetness from the maple syrup and brown sugar. They are rich without being too much, a wonderful balance of salty and sweet.

Speaking of salty and sweet, I am always willing to try a new combination. This brings me to my latest holiday treat. In the search for trying to recreate an amazing candy we tried in Hawaii, I ran across this Frito Peanut Butter Cup Bark. I absolutely had to give it a whirl!

This is a pretty fast candy to make (which I appreciate), but doesn't sacrifice anything in taste for its quickness. I used the recipe as instructed, but I did add a few mini bags of extra Fritos. I had plenty of chocolate and probably could have done a few more. I also switched to one bag of the mini peanut butter cups so I didn't have to do any chopping. I think the minis worked well, but they didn't stick with the Frito part too well. Next time I'll push a little harder to try and get them into the chocolate. I finished off with a festive sprinkle, just for fun.

Both of these treats have the highest recommendation from those in my house and from friends. You could add one or both to your holiday treat list and definitely not be sorry.

Comments