No Need to Stew - Run, Don't Walk to Make These Recipes

If you are in the mood for comfort food, this is the post for you. I have two super easy, super delicious recipes that are perfect as the weather turns colder.

First, we start with this Crock Pot Beef Stew. Stew isn't something I make often. For one thing, my mom set the bar pretty high on this dish, and I've doubted my versions could compare. Secondly, for whatever reason, when it comes to this flavor profile, I tend to gravitate toward making pot roasts rather than stew. 

This is a pretty easy recipe. I had stew meat in the freezer that I find on sale at some point. You season the meat and dump it in, add the potatoes and carrots, and then dump the soup and ketchup on top. I didn't even mix the soup and ketchup together ahead of time. Instead, about halfway through the cooking time, I gave everything a good stir (don't @ me about not lifting the lid during cooking). Eight hours later, voila!, a lovely and tender beef stew with virtually no work. The gravy was thick and tasty, but not overly salty and just right.

Then I made biscuits. The best biscuits I've ever made. AND they were super easy. I could NOT wait for dinner time so that I could break one open and take a bite. I originally chose the recipe to use some leftover buttermilk in the freezer. From now on, I keep buttermilk in the fridge so I can keep making this biscuits.

The technique on these makes so much sense. I've had butter clump up for other recipes and wondered if it would work out okay. In this one, that's what you want to happen. The result is a soft and amazing biscuit you'll want more of. I used a drinking glass to cut out mine, and I think it was just shy of 2" in diameter. I managed to get 12 pleasantly plump biscuits out of the dough. (They ended up being roughly the same size as the frozen biscuit dough you buy at the store.) 

When I say the biscuits are good, I'm not even kidding. Everyone at the table gave up dessert to have another one, and you know how we feel about dessert at this house. I'm having trouble not sneaking over to the counter to have another one right now.

If you need a cozy meal come this winter, I can't recommend this combo enough. And by all means, do NOT wait until winter to make these biscuits.

Comments

Kevin Perkins said…
I love beef stew! It's an underappreciated dish to me! My mom makes this every so often, but it's always so juicy and delicious when she does. I remember being in the hospital and the nurse ordered me some stew off the menu. I thought it was going to be nasty, but it ended up being not too bad! Underseasoned just a bit, but not terrible.

Andddd I don't know about passing up dessert for a biscuit lol. Well depending on the dessert. If you were tuned into my blog post about my favorite dessert, you know I wouldn't put anything over ice cream. Haha😅
Tanner Ryan said…
These biscuits look amazing!!! I am definitely going to have to try them out. Nothing has my heart more than a new way to eat carbs.
Peter Menza said…
Beef Stew is such a great comfort food, especially in the Fall and Winter! My mom and Grandma both make 2 variations of it. One is more traditional and done in the oven, while the other is called "Forgotten Stew." It starts as a normal beef stew cooked in the crock pot, but the liquid is a mix of beef broth and V8, along with seasonings. Both are favorites!